State Highway Marker

State Highway Marker

Monday, November 11, 2013

Armistice Day

Headquarters U.S. Marine Corps

16 September, 1937

To whom it may concern:

The records of this office show that James Whitfield Timberlake, born August 28, 1889, at Barhamsville, Virginia, enlisted in the Marine Corps December 15, 1917, at Parris Island, S.C. After completion of recruit training at that place, he was transferred to Qunatico, Virginia, joining the 138th Company, 2nd Replacement Battalion. With that organization, he embarked in the U.S.S. Henderson March 13, 1918, and went ashore in France March 27, 1918. He was assigned to the 76th Company, 6th Regiment, U.S. Marine Corps, April 26 1918, and participated in active engagements against the enemy in the Toulon Sector, April 26 to May 13; Aisne Operation, June 1 to 5; Chateau-Thierry Sector (Belleau Wood), June 6 to July 16; and in the Aisne-Marne Offensive, July 18 and 19, 1918, on which date he was severely wounded in action and died. He had been assigned Army serial #304,710.

His remains are now permanently buried in Grave #10, Block "C", Row #11, Oise-Aisne Cemetery #608, situated near Seringes et Nesles, Department of Aisne, France.

At the time of his enlistment, Private Timberlake stated that his next of Kin was Mrs. Hallie M. Timberlake, mother, Barhamsville, Virginia.

R.H. Jeschke
Major, Asst. Adjutant and Inspector
U.S. Marine Corps.

Furnished to:
S.W. Lacy, Clerk
County of New Kent
New Kent, Virginia.

-from a letter in the New Kent County World War One Memorial Book in the mircroform records of the Library of Virginia.

"Regimental increments arrived in France during late 1917 and early 1918. Upon arrival, the 6th Marine Regiment joined the 5th Marine Regiment and the 6th Machine Gun Battalion to form the 4th Brigade, U.S. 2nd Division (Regular), American Expeditionary Force. The early spring was devoted to training under French tutelage." 
"The U.S. 2nd Division was attached to the French XX Corps to conduct a counterattack near Soissons in mid-July. The 6th Regiment was held in reserve when the initial assault waves went over the top on 18 July. The next day, the 6th Marine Regiment stepped off, advancing alone from Vierzy toward Tigny, but was stopped short of the objective by intense artillery and machine gun fire. Casualties were extremely heavy, estimated at 50 to 70% in most units. First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates (a future commandant of the Marine Corps) reported only about two dozen of more than 400 men survived and added '... There is no one on my left, and only a few on my right. I will hold."[7] Regimental losses during the Aisne-Marne Offensive numbered 1,431; 19 July 1918 is the single costliest day of fighting in the history of the 6th Marine Regiment."
 From the Wikipedia entry on the 6th Marine.

No comments:

Post a Comment