From the Clyde to the James . . .
"The new steamship line of the Chesapeake and Ohio Newport News to Liverpool commenced its service September 9. An English company called the Chesapeake and Ohio Steamship Company Limited was organised through the efforts of officers of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Company establish this line with a capital of $1,000,000 and $750,000 in five per cent debentures and the railroad company subscribed for $600,000 of the stock The contracts were let in 1892 for building six vessels for the line. Three of the ships Appomattox, Greenbrier, and Chickahominy are all being built at West Hartlepool They are 345 ft in length with cargo capacity 5,000 tons measurement and fittings for 550 head of cattle. The other three ships were built at Linthouse on Clyde and are named Rappahannock, Shenandoah, and Kanawha. They are 370 ft in length with cargo capacity of 6,785 tons measurement each and fittings for 770 head of cattle each. The Rappahannock is ready for service and the Appomattox is booked to sail from England in a few days. The six ships are expected to make weekly sailings from Newport News. This will allow six weeks for the round trip including the taking on and discharging of cargo. It is very probable that other ships will be added to the fleet but no arrangement has been made as yet for them. "
-Railway News vol. 60, published 1893.