Army scenes on the Chickahominy

Army scenes on the Chickahominy
Harper''s pictorial history of the Civil War. (Chicago : Star Publishing Co. 1866)

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Escape!- Major Hamilton



From Famous Adventures and Prison Escapes of the Civil War




Colonel Rose's compatriot who became separated from him early in the escape, Major Andrew G Hamilton tells us how. . . .

. . . I trudged on alone. The first night I made eight miles in the half-frozen swamps, and traveled seven nights before reaching the Union lines at Williamsburg. While traveling I was in ice and water to my knees the greater part of the time, and often it was up to my waist. I was about the fifth man to reach our lines — two had come in the day before and two the night previous to that.
- History of the famous tunnel Escape From Libby Prison As Told by Maj. A. G. Hamilton, One of the Projectors

Major Hamilton recently received his own historical marker in Kentucky.

His later tragic fate here.



 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the fascinating nuggets of history you are pulling together here!

    ReplyDelete