Army scenes on the Chickahominy

Army scenes on the Chickahominy
Harper''s pictorial history of the Civil War. (Chicago : Star Publishing Co. 1866)

Thursday, June 5, 2014

The XVIII Corps Moves up the Pamunkey I

                    STONINGTON, CONN.,
                        August 9, 1864.
SIR: My continuous and active service in the field has prevented me from making out reports of certain operations of the troops under my command at an earlier date, and as many of the subordinate reports have not been made to me for reasons similar to those which have delayed mine, I can now give but a résumé, and propose to include in the report to your headquarters operations of my command while with the Army of the Potomac an not under the orders of General Butler. On the 27th of May I received orders to concentrate my command, consisting of the two white divisions of the Eighteenth Corps, and the divisions of Generals Ames and Turner of the Tenth Corps, in rear of the lines at Port Waithall, preparatory to embarkation at Bermuda Hundred, to join the Army of the Potomac. My orders were to land on the north side of the Pamunkey to protect the engineer troops, who were to be sent to work on the bridges at that point. The following is the order upon which I moved:



                    WASHINGTON, May 28, 1864-2.30 p.m.
Major-General SMITH:
Lieutenant-General Grant directs that on reaching White House you will put the railroad bridge there in condition for crossing troops and artillery, and leave a sufficient force to hold it. Ask General Butler to give you artillery enough for that purpose. The railroad bridge corps will immediately leave Alexandria with men and materials for executing the work. As soon as you occupy the place telegraph here your progress in ascending the river and landing.
HALLECK
 Major-General.

-The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. ; Series 1-Volume 36 (Part I)

No comments:

Post a Comment