|Image from Peninsula Campaing(1862) of the bridge at White House Landing- LOC|
May 21st- Moved about 4 a.m. to White House formerly the residence of General W.H.F. Lee, and at one time occupied by the Custer family; during the Peninsular Campaign it was used as a hospital. At 9 a.m. foraging parties were sent out toward Richmond and procured sufficient supplies for several days use. Heavy cannonading was heard between Meade and Lee. In the evening a gunboat and transport arrived with supplies. Officers from Custer's brigade came in, reporting the burning of two bridges and cutting of the railroad, but found the bridge across the South Anna too strongly guarded. After the expedition had started on its way to Hanover Station, General Sheridan discovered that the old railroad bridge at White House had been but partly destroyed, the timbers and cross ties being in good condition. The men of the First Division were sent out in detachments in the surrounding country for lumber, each man bringing in a plank or a board, and soon sufficient was accumulated for a flooring and the bridge was made serviceable in a day.
May 22d- Four transports, guarded by two gunboats, arrived with rations and forage. By mid day the whole command was bivouacked at White House, and at 5 p.m. commenced crossing the rickety structure, the men leading their horses. Devin's brigade finished crossing about midnight, with the loss of but a few horses and mules that went overboard, and then encamped about a mile north of the river. Lieutenant Bell, Sixth New York, acting corps commissary.
May 23d- Moved out at 5 a.m. and marched via Lanesville to King William C.H. The Sixth New York, taking the advance of the corps, moved rapidly to Aylett's, two miles south of the Mattapony River, capturing a large number of horses. Crossed the river at 4 p.m. on a bridge of its own construction, and remained all night on the north bank of the river, on picket and guarding Dunkirk Ferry, the rest of the cavalry remaining on the opposite side.
-History of the Sixth New York Cavalry: (Second Ira Harris Guard) Second Brigade -- First Division -- Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac, 1861-1865
Compiled by Hillman Allyn Hall, William B. Besley, Gilbert Guion WoodBlanchard Press, 1908