Army scenes on the Chickahominy

Army scenes on the Chickahominy
Harper''s pictorial history of the Civil War. (Chicago : Star Publishing Co. 1866)

Friday, June 6, 2014

The XVIII Corps Moves up the Pamunkey II

Maj Gen Smiths Expedition disembarking at the White House-LOC



                                                           [Telegram.]

                        FORT MONROE, VA., May 29, 1864.

I have been requested by Major-General Smith, through Brigadier- General Ames, to cooperate with the troops which go to West Point, [Va.], this afternoon. I have telegraphed General Ames that I will be happy to cooperate with him. Shall be obliged to go alone, as the boiler of the Mystic is undergoing repair. Respectfully, etc.,

                        CHAS. A. BABCOCK,

            Lieutenant-Commander and Senior Officer Present.

Rear-Admiral S. P. LEE,
                    Comdg. North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, H Roads.




Report of Lieutenant- Commander Babcock, U. S. Navy, commanding U. S. S. Morse, of the convoying of army transports, May 29- 30, 1864.

U.S.S. MORSE,
Off White House, Pamunkey River, Virginia, June 1, 1864.

SIR: I have the honor to make the following report in relation to the part taken by this vessel in cooperating with and convoying transports with troops under command of Major-General Smith, which arrived at this place on the 30th ultimo.
After telegraphing you on the 29th that General Smith requested my cooperation I got underway at 5 p.m. of that day and, followed by two transports, proceeded to West Point, coming to anchor at 9:30 p.m. During the night several transports filled with troops arrived from Yorktown. On the following morning I was informed by Brigadier-General Ames that all the transports with troops were going to the White House, and requested me to convoy them. I immediately got underway and, taking the lead, proceeded up the Pamunkey River, arriving at this place with transports and troops safely at 11:30 a.m. on the 80th ultimo. I saw nothing of the enemy, and found no obstruction whatever in the river. I have stationed the Shokokon off Cumberland, with orders to protect the transports from the enemy should they make their appearance. The Cohasset is at anchor off the White house and this vessel at the railroad bridge [Richmond and York River Railroad]. The Mystic still remains at Yorktown. At present all the vessels I have with me are fully supplied with ammunition, coal, and provisions.
 I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

                    CHAS. A. BABCOCK,
            Lieutenant- Commander and Senior Officer Present.

Rear-Admiral S. P. LEE,    
    Comdg. North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, Hampton Roads 


-Official records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion. ; Series I - Volume 10: North Atlantic Blockading Squadron (May 6, 1864 - October 27, 1864)


No comments:

Post a Comment