Army scenes on the Chickahominy

Army scenes on the Chickahominy
Harper''s pictorial history of the Civil War. (Chicago : Star Publishing Co. 1866)

Monday, May 5, 2014

Naval Moves- Spring 1864

      
The York River 1862,  from the Rumsey Map collection



                                                       [Telegram.]

                                                               YORKTOWN, April 29, 1864.
Major-General Smith informs me he intends sending troops to West Point, [Va.], time not specified. He wishes me to telegraph and ask you for two gunboats to protect them while there.
 Very respectfully,
CHAS. A. BABCOCK,
   Lieutenant- Commander and Senior Officer Present.
Acting Rear-Admiral S. P. LEE,
   Commanding North Atlantic Blockading Squadron.

                                                             [Telegram.]

                                                             YORKTOWN, April 29, 1864.
The troops go to West Point tomorrow. General Smith informs me that the movement is merely temporary. He is anxious for gunboats. I have informed him I would render him all assistance in my power until I could hear from you.
Very respectfully,
CHAS. A. BABCOCK,
    Lieutenant-Commander and Senior Officer Present.
Acting Rear-Admiral S. P. LEE,
    Commanding North Atlantic Blockading Squadron.



-Official records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion. ; Series I - Volume 9: North Atlantic Blockading Squadron (May 5, 1863 - May 5, 1864)

No comments:

Post a Comment