AFTER FIFTY YEARS.
DR. AND MRS. L. C. CRUMP CELEBRATE THEIR GOLDEN WEDDING.
THE ONLY LIVING WITNESS PRESENT.
He is a Feeble Old Negro, Who Tells of the Other Wedding- A Happy Circumstance- Dr. Crump's Grandchild Christened for Him.
Dr. and Mrs. Leonard C. Crump, of this city, celebrated the golden anniversary of their marriage last evening, at their residence, No. 116 north Twenty seventh street.
The fates have ordained that occasions of this kind shall come but rarely; a fair fortune had decreed that this should be one of great interest and joy, not to be forgotten by those who attended, in many, many years.
Dr. Crump and Miss Emily A. Savage, a bright and winsome daughter of Captain Nat. Savage a wealthy planter of New Kent county, were married at the old homestead, June 28 1818. The whole county was interested in the nuptials of this popular couple, and the festivities were kept up after the wedding night for week. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. John P. McGuire. an Episcopal clergyman, now long since gone to his reward.
A half a century has passed since then, many changes have come, old faces have gradually sunk out of sight, and as they have journeyed along new ones have taken their places. Eleven children, in the course of time, came to their home; six of that number are still living, and are all present They are Messrs. William A. and N.R. Crump, of Richmond, and N.S. Crump, of Omaha, Neb.; Mrs. H.R. Davis, of Atlanta, Ga., and Misses Sallie B. and Emily B. Crump, who reside with their parents.
CHRISTENED BY THE DOCTOR.
The reception Dr. and Mrs. Crump tendered their friends was held from 5 to 7 In the evening. Just preceding the reception a most beautiful and interesting ceremony occurred. This was the christening exercise of the grandson of Dr. and Mrs. Crump, the son of Mr. N.S. Crump, of Nebraska, for the venerable Doctor himself. Only the family and intimate friends were present. Dr. R.A. Goodwin, rector of St. John's church, of which Dr. Crump is a vestryman, was the officiating minister. Dr. Crump is inordinately proud of the boy who bears his name, and well he might be, for he is as bright an pretty a youngster as one would care to see.
ALL GONE BUT HIM.
That was a gay and beauteous throng which gathered fifty years ago to witnesss the happy union. Gallant men and bright-eyed, fresh, young girls were there, and they laughed and loved, talked and sang as gallant men and fair girls do at marriages to-day. But the mirthful ones have passed away. Every one save three has "joined the great caravan which moves to the pale realm of shade" has "wrapped the drapery of his couch him and lain down to pleasant dreams."*
Two of the three are Dr. and Mrs. Crump; the other is John Smith, who was a butler at the marriage; stood at the door, as the slave did on such occasions, witnessed the ceremony, and waited on the table at the marriage dinner. He is a white-healed, wrinkled, and kindly faced old man now. The days of youth have long since fled him, and his incoherent talk at times shows that gradually his mind is giving away.
A GUEST THIS TIME.
He, too, has left the plantation in New Kent, and is now living in Richmond. More than that; he was an honored guest at the golden wedding yesterday afternoon, a seat was given him at the door, and not a guest who passed in failed to greet the old man, who bowed his white head very low, hat in hand, and said, "Sarvant, Massar." He was asked by a guest about the other wedding, and replied, "I couldn't tell yer 'bout dat all, but it larsted a week."
Among those who called during the evening were Mr. Cyrus Bossieux, son, and daughters; Mrs. Hankins, wife of Dr. Hankins, of Williamsburg; Mr. and Mrs. John Alvey, Mr. Edward Alvey, Mrs. Sallie Hoffman, and Mr N.R. Savage. A number of presents were received, appropriate and handsome.
Dr. Crump is well known in Richmond, where he has been a resident since the war. Until the outbreak of hostilities of 1861 he was a practitioner in New Kent. Then he came to Richmond, was a physician at the hospital on Chimbarazo Hill, and has ever since made his home here. For a quarter of a century or more he has been a communicant of St. John's Episcopal church, and also a member of the vestry. Both his health and that of Mr. Crump are good and fortune bids fair to grant the heartfelt and earnest wish of their many friends that they may yet "live long and prosper."
Dr. Leonard Crump would survive only another seven months passing away February 6, 1899.
*from Thanatopsis- William Cullen Bryant